Ever since my political “awakening” – that’s a post for another time – I’ve wondered why so many Jews are liberals. For those of you that don’t know this to be so, just trust me. I lived in the metro New York area until age 28, which has the highest concentration of Jewish people in the entire country; I feel completely comfortable making that broad statement. Back to my confusion…it is not merely a stereotype that American Jews have earned their livings as entrepreneurs, business owners, and in the medical profession, all while keeping a staunch hold on Jewish tradition and, after its formation, a reverence for Israel. The professional inclinations of American Jews considered, one would think that Jews would naturally favor the Republicans and conservatism, which have been and continue to be much friendlier to the same professional self-sufficiency that American Jews historically display. Furthermore, and more striking and puzzling, is the fact that there is no better friend in the world to Israel than the Republican American. None. Ever. But especially in 2009. (I’ll just leave that mine be out in the field for now.)
I’ve asked Jewish friends on occasion about this conundrum, but since we’re usually drunk at the time, I’ve never gotten an answer or at least one that makes sense. The best I can remember was: “Democrats support health care and I work in health care.” Uh, ok. Next. Mr. Betsy Boss is Jewish, so of course I’ve asked him to explain the Jewish-Liberal relationship. Since Mr. Boss also shares my mish-mosh of socially libertarian, fiscally conservative views, he dismisses my questions with exasperation and Jew jokes. He has no idea either.
So imagine my excitement today when I found this essay posted today on the internet: Why are Jews Liberals? Would my question finally be answered? Not quite. I’ll spare you reading the lame piece and sum it up with these two quotes:
“I’d say : the civil rights movement. Jews who find the most important part of the religion (I’m not observant so this may not apply to all) the injunction to care about social justice, to care for the oppressed because we were oppressed, slaves in Egypt, etc.”
“The sad thing, I admit, has been the way Leftists and all-too many liberals have decided that murderers and genocide promoters such as Hamas are oppressed rather than despicable. It’s a struggle to remain a liberal and see fellow Jewish liberals fall for this suicidal fallacy…”
In short, Jews are liberal because of a narrow, revisionist perception of American history? …and/but it sucks that so many liberals are terrorist sympathizers? Clearly this dude was as helpful as drunk, Long Island Jewish chicks and Mr. Boss the Jewish jokester.
Before I sigh into the sunset as confused as ever, let me remind Mr. Rosenbaum – who credits democrats’ exceptional stance on race relations in American history as the foundation for the liberal monopoly on Jews – of a few not-so-minor points in history:
The US congressional record shows the following:
- Democrats supported Slavery and its expansion into the northern states
- Democrats introduced the Missouri Compromise and the Kansas-Nebraska Act to expand slavery into the northern states.
- Democrats supported the Dred Scott Decision
- Democrats supported Fugitive Slave Laws
- Democrats collectively opposed the 13th Amendment to end slavery Democrats collectively opposed the 14th Amendment to give blacks citizenship
- Democrats collectively opposed the 15th Amendment to give blacks the right to vote
- Democrats exhausted every efforts to destroy Reconstruction including opposing the 1867 Reconstruction Act and coming up with the Compromise of 1877 Democrats opposed the Freedman Bureau
- Democrats opposed Senate Bill 60 of 1866 to give blacks 40 acres and mule (It was Democratic President Andrew Johnson that vetoed the Bill.
- Democrats supported of the Slaughter House Case Democrats opposed the 1866 Civil Rights Acts
- Democrats opposed the Ku Klux Klan Act of 1871 and continue to oppose anti-lynching laws up through 1965
- Democrats passed a multitude of Jim Crow Legislation
- Democrats passed the Black Codes
- Democrats establishment of the Ku Klux Klan and other terrorist auxiliaries for their Party to keep blacks in their place
- Democrats promoted White Supremacy
- Democrats opposed blacks schools and colleges
- Democrats supported of Plessy v Ferguson legalizing Segregation
- Democrats were against the decision in the case of Brown v Board of Education
- Democrats supported, participated and endorsed over 5,000 lynching in states under their control
- Democrats opposed to the NAACP and other organization designed to help blacks
- Democrats were in opposition to blacks holding political office and drove many from office during Reconstruction with terror and violence
- Southern Democrats debated against the passage of the 1964 Civil Right Act
- Southern Democrats debated against the passage of 1965 Voting Rights Act
- Southern Democrats fought against Affirmative Action
- Southern Democrats fought against the integration of Southern schools
- Democrats supported and participated in burning down middle class black communities like those in Rosewood, Florida, Wilmington, North Carolina and the Greenwood District (Black Wallstreet) in Tulsa Oklahoma.
- Southern Democrats fraudulently took over two million acres of black property according to an investigation by Associated Press.
- Democrats in an effort to keep blacks in their place used sadistic torture, terror and violence including: lynching, mutilations, murder, decapitations and beating and burning to death countless number of blacks.
- President Woodrow Wilson, the second Democrat to serve since the Civil War, reintroduced segregation throughout the federal government immediately upon taking office in 1913. Avowed racists such as Josephus Daniels and Albert Burleson were named Cabinet secretaries. Black leaders like W.E.B. DuBois, who had strongly supported Wilson, were bitterly disappointed, but shouldn’t have been surprised. As president of Princeton University, Wilson refused to admit blacks and as governor of New Jersey ignored blacks’ requests for state jobs, even though their votes had provided his margin of victory. Wilson, who is worshipped as the utmost “progressive” (where and by who have you heard that term used lately?) of his time allowed federal officials to segregate “toilets, cafeterias and work” areas of various federal departments.
- When Franklin D. Roosevelt had his first opportunity to name a member of the Supreme Court, he appointed a life member of the Ku Klux Klan, Sen. Hugo Black, Democrat of Alabama. In 1944, FDR chose as his vice president Harry Truman, who had joined the Ku Klux Klan in Kansas City in 1922. Throughout his presidency, Roosevelt resisted Republican efforts to pass a federal law against lynching, and he opposed integration of the armed forces.
- FDR refused to have pictures taken with blacks.
- FDR sent Japanese Americans to internment camps, a conservative newspaper chain denounced this violation of civil rights, as did the influential black conservative George Schuyler.
- Democrat-controlled state legislatures in the South that placed the Confederate battle flag on their state capitol flags.
- 1964: Democrat Robert Kennedy assisted the FBI’s efforts to destroy Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. by approving the wiretapping of the man considered the heart and soul of the civil rights movement.
- Theophilus Eugene “Bull” Connor (July 11, 1897, Selma, Alabama – March 10, 1973) was a Democratic politician and police official from the city of Birmingham, Alabama during the American Civil Rights Movement. He was a member of the Ku Klux Klan, and a staunch advocate of racial segregation.
- Another Ku Klux Klan member, Sen. Robert C. Byrd, Democrat of West Virginia, personally filibustered the Civil Rights Act of 1964 for 14 straight hours to keep it from passage. He was a Democrat member of the U.S. Senate till just recently.
- In public opinion polls on school choice, blacks overwhelmingly favor vouchers to rescue their children from failing schools. No one knows better the damage that poor schools can do to their children’s future and communities than blacks. Republicans are in favor of school choice. Democrats aren’t. The Democrats are pandering to the NEA.
- Reverends Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are shameless “Race Hustlers” and “shakedown artists” exploiting “white guilt”.
- Jeremiah Wright, Obama’s Minister for 20 years, runs a Marxist based racist church check the history on “Black Liberation Theology”.
Brief History of Republican Record on Race
The US congressional record shows the following:
- Lewis Tappan took the lead in defending the slaves who mutinied on the Amistad – a court case made famous by Steven Spielberg’s film. Tappan was an evangelical Christian and conservative businessman. He used his network of antislavery men, including Abraham Lincoln, to create a credit reporting system–Dun & Bradstreet–that covered North America.
- Another early Republican leader, Salmon P. Chase, earned the nickname “Attorney General of Fugitive Slaves” for defending runaway slaves.
- The most famous runaway, Frederick Douglass, was the Martin Luther King, Jr. of the 19th century. Douglass said “The Republican Party is the ship and all else is the sea.”
- Republican Abraham Lincoln emancipated the slaves on Jan. 1, 1863.
- A Republican-controlled Congress rammed through the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments to the Constitution that, among other things, abolished slavery, guaranteed equal protection and due process and addressed blacks’ right to vote.
- 1866: first civil rights act passed by Radical Republicans over a Presidential veto, blacks granted citizenship, segregation was forbidden
- 1868: Republicans passed the 14th amendment passed granting equal protection
- 1871: Republicans passed voting rights
- Theodore Roosevelt was the first President to invite an African-American to dinner in the White House.
- 1920s:, the Democratic platforms didn’t even call for anti-lynching legislation as the Republican platforms did.
- Republican Warren G. Harding scrapped Wilson’s the segregation policy. Warren G. Harding didn’t stop there. In 1922, Harding delivered a bold speech in Birmingham, Ala., (A Democrat stronghold that was later known by blacks as “Bombingham”) in which he called for black equality. Up to then, no U.S. president had ever spoken so forcefully about civil rights.
- Republican civil rights advocates also used the courts to advance a colorblind vision of America. Thus, it was Republican Justice Harlan who dissented from the “separate but equal” ruling of Plessy v. Ferguson (1896), declaring that “our Constitution is colorblind.” This became the rallying cry of the NAACP in its later battles to undo the segregation imposed on the South by the Democratic Party.
- In fact, Republicans were also influential in the NAACP. The group’s first president, Moorefield Storey, denounced Democrat Woodrow Wilson’s segregation of the federal government and also won the first Supreme Court case ruling residential segregation unconstitutional – in 1917 (37 years before Brown v. Board).
- 1957: civil rights act pushed by Ike, passed . Sen Kennedy voted against it, A Democrat Senator filibustered it for 24 hrs, Senator Johnson watered it down so that it lacked enforcement
- Republican Eisenhower sent Federal troops to Little Rock to integrate Central High
- 1960: another civil rights act, again Dems kept enforcement measures out of it
- 1964: Civil Rights Act and the 1965 Voting Rights Act. Over eighty percent of Republicans voted for both.
- Republican Nixon created the EEOC and expanded civil rights law.
- Ronald Reagan signed the bill making MLK day a public holiday
- Republican George H. W. Bush nominated Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court of the USA.
- Republican George W. Bush appointed Colin Powel the first black Secratary of state (2001-2005)
- Republican George W. Bush appointed Condoleezza Rice as the 66th Secretary of State in 2005. source
Thanks for nothing. Mazel tov.